If after 3 – 4 months, you are still unable to get your ex to a more “intimate” form of contact (phone call, video chats, face-to-face meetings), or get them to want to communicate more than a few texts here and there, chances are:
1. You keep bringing up the past (relationship and/or break-up) and either your ex doesn’t respond because they don’t want to talk about the past or they respond and the two of you are stuck in the past unable to move on to what moves things forward.
2. You are not doing a good job emotionally connecting and getting your ex emotionally engaged.
3. Your ex has other things going on in their life that may take a long time to resolve (e.g. hurt, depression, school, job/career/business related, loss etc.). It’s up to you to decide if you want wait or move on.
4. You are not consistent with contacting your ex either because you are too scared or you are waiting for your ex to contact you (and they are not). You can’t build any momentum with contacts that are few and far between.
5. You are asking to meet or calling before building enough momentum to push things to the next level.